TrueNorth Speaks on Connecticut Bar Association CLE Panel – Sales of Distressed Companies in and out of Bankruptcy
Wednesday, October 18, 2017, CBA Law Center, 30 Bank Street, New Britain, CT 06051
About the Program:
Participants learned how to advise clients who wish to buy or sell distressed businesses outside of bankruptcy as well as within a bankruptcy proceeding. Experienced practitioners and an investment banker provided practical tips to assist counsel in choosing options and devising strategies that mitigate risk and get the deal closed.
What Was Covered:
- Options for selling distressed companies
- How to identify common risks in distressed sales
- Practical tips for formulating sale strategies and getting deals closed
- How investment bankers can assist (even small- to mid-sized sellers)
- How to analyze ethical issues arising in distressed transactions (e.g., who’s your client, ABA opinion re: negotiations, handling scrivener’s errors, and more)
- Potential bankruptcy alternatives, including assignments for the benefit of creditors (ABCs), Article 9 sales, and receiverships
- The impact of recent bankruptcy law decisions, including Jevic, General Motors, and others
Corporate and bankruptcy lawyers representing sellers, buyers, lenders, and contract parties in the sales of financially distressed companies.
Panelists: Jeffrey Gaynor, TrueNorth Capital Partners, Patrick Linsey, Zeisler & Zeisler PC, Robert White, Murtha Cullina LLP, Matthew Beatman, Zeisler & Zeisler PC, DAnile Cohn, Murtha Cullina LLP, Thomas Gugliotti, Updike, Kelly & Spellacy, Jason Marsh, Green and Sklarz LLC